published: Friday, September 28, 2012
Four students treated for cold medicine overdose
MILLARD K. IVES | Staff Writer
Four East Ridge High students were taken to a hospital Friday after allegedly taking too much cold medicine for recreational use.
The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.
"They were all acting strangely according to school personnel, so EMS was notified," said Sgt. James Vachon, sheriff's spokesman.
Vachon said the female students, who were not identified, were
eventually taken to South Lake Hospital. Vachon said their condition didn't appear to be life-threatening.
According to the sheriff's office, they received a call about 11:30 a.m. Friday that an 18-year-old student was sent to the office after acting strange.
She told school officials she had taken cold medicine and had given it to three other students.
It is not clear if the students took the medicine at school or off campus.
Christopher Patton, school spokesman, said the school will also conduct an investigation into the incident and disciplinary action could be taken.
"It's a very unfortunate incident. Drugs on campus is something we take serious," he said.