published: Friday, January 18, 2013
Reliving history through the pages of the South Lake Press
Reliving history through the pages of the South Lake Press
July 29, 1915: Extension of Minnehaha Lake Shore Drive
A proposed extension of the Minnehaha Lake Shore Drive, with a bridge across the Palat-lakaha River between the groves of the Home and Land Develop-ment Company and the property of Mr. E.T. Smith on the South Clermont side, was viewed July 27 by Henry Wilson and John Straker, accompanied by Henry Lee, Jim Jones, A.L. Cashwell and E.T. Smith.
These gentlemen have taken up the road matter with a vengeance. They have suffered a long time for a good road and a safe bridge that will shorten the distance between their homes and Cler-mont, the base of their supplies, until patience has ceased to be a virtue.
Much of the time Lake Minne-haha is rough and dangerous. The only other way to town being a long, tiresome trail, not worthy of the name "road." This has made the taxpayers of south Clermont wake up to their rights. Fifty-two taxpayers petitioned for this road.
If the peoples' wishes of the south end of Lake County are to be observed, Clermont and Groveland will be brought much closer to each other than they are at present.
Petitions, presented recently to the county commissioners from residents of Mascotte, Groveland and Clermont, asked for a change in the hard-surfaced road from Groveland to Tavares so as to cause it to pass through Clermont, instead of following the old road.
The rerouting of the road will shorten the distance from Grove-land to Clermont from 12 miles to six miles.
Christmas dinner at the Log House (1914)
The Log House, on Crescent Lake south of Clermont, is featuring Christmas dinner for the paltry sum of 75 cents. For this sum you will be served: oyster cocktail, cream of celery soup, roast turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, mashed turnips, pickles, celery coleslaw, fruit salad, lemon sherbet, grapefruit straws, plum pudding, guava jelly, nuts, raisins and coffee.
Denslow resident of Clermont now
Ernest Denslow, president and founder of the Postal Colony Company, having retired from the railway mail service, is now a Clermont resident and is being welcomed by the many friends made here during the past nearly 15 years.
While he was in service Mr. and Mrs. Denslow lived in Miami and while they were frequent callers here, it was impossible for him to devote the active attention to Colony affairs which will be his custom henceforth.
A dead engine
Dr. Middleton and his fishing party, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Mehler, Mr. Anthony and the doctor's little boy, London, had a nice time fishing recently between showers. But their good time did not end with that.
One cylinder of his engine didn't work well when he left town, but the doctor is so used to seeing "one lungers" improve in this climate that he thought nothing of it. But this case worked on contraries. The showers of the late afternoon caught them on the lake about 12 miles from home with a "dead" engine. All the doctor's persuasive powers were expended to no effect and the engine was finally put clear out of commission when the one remaining spark plug was broken while attempting to clean it.
In an endeavor to reach a phone to call for help, their hands were blistered while rowing across the lake. Finally the party landed, built a bonfire and made camp for the night. The rowboat was pulled ashore and turned over so as to make shelter for Mrs. Mehler and little London.
Roasted fish, without salt, was the menu for supper and might have been for breakfast also if it hadn't been for the "folk at home."
A party left town looking for them, and after a long search the light of their fire was seen and soon the homeward journey commenced, and about two in the morning all were safe in their own homes. When morning came they were ready for another trip.
March 4, 1915: Electric lights in sight
The residents of Clermont have been much elated during the past week by the prospects of electric lights. Mr. Zinsser has been looking into the matter and has been asking for the support of the townspeople in the matter of a franchise whenever the place shall be incorporated.
Everything seemed to be "clear sailing" at first, but some of his friends are counseling him not to make the investment until such time as he can get the proper protection. Mr. Zinsser, however has made no definite statement as yet as to what he will do.
July 1, 1915: Let there be light
According to the recently made promises, the streets and business houses of Clermont were illuminated with current made at the Clermont Electric Company's new plant.
At 7:30 p.m., Mrs. Zinsser turned the switch that carried the first current to all parts of the town.
In honor of the occasion, Mr. and Mrs. Zinsser entertained a few of their friends at the plant, serving light refreshments.
Starved out of the woods
About 20 Clermont young people, chaperoned by Mrs. H.B. Searl and Miss Stella Thompson, went by barge to the other side of Lake Louisa where they pitched camp, expecting to remain several days. None had been troubled with loss of appetite before they started and, after the ride over the water, each one declared they had never been hungrier.
At suppertime each one demonstrated the truth of their assertions. The result was that, though those who planned the outing thought they had ordered enough food for the whole time, the party was face to face with starvation. At a nearby commissary two cans of tomatoes and one of peaches were secured. These were only enough to "stay their stomachs a bit" and they were forced to start for home.
During the night they spent in the woods the girls slept on the barge and the boys sat around a big campfire. On the way in a heavy rain drenched hem. Notwithstanding all these difficulties they are already planning another such trip, when everything will go "lovely."