The city of Leesburg renamed its airport in 2003 to Leesburg Regional Airport at Henry Pringle Field to honor the man largely responsible for its creation. Today, it is called Leesburg International Airport at Henry Pringle Field. It was the generous donation of 410 acres from the Silver Lake Estates in 1940, through Henry Pringle as its secretary and attorney, which got thoughts of a modern Leesburg airport off the ground.

———

Churches and schoolhouses were among the first public structures that pioneers built when homesteading an area. Groveland was no exception. Its first place of education was a one-room, board-and-batten schoolhouse slightly northeast of town near the wagon road crossing over Palatlakaha Creek, which was built around the turn of the 20th century at Brown’s Ford. The school came about at the urging of Mrs. John Daniels. She convinced her husband to petition for the school so the children from a handful of families had a place to learn.

———

When Gastfield’s Groceries and General Merchandise Store on State Road 44 in Lisbon closed it’s shabby double doors for the last time more than 30 years ago, it was the end of an era — or two. The store that had been built in the 1800s was torn down in 1979 to make room for a new bridge over Haines Creek. The family business was officially closed around 1973 but owner George Gastfield occasionally opened it when someone asked. The old unpainted clapboard mercantile, with walls that seemed more held up by county fairs and soft drink signs than nails, was something of a tourist attraction.

———

It only took a $2 deposit to open an account and become a member of the Hopalong Cassidy Savings Club at the First National Bank of Leesburg in 1952. Hopalong Cassidy, a cowboy hero who tried to capture the rustlers instead of shooting them was popularized in 66 motion pictures played by William “Bill” Boyd. The grand event was held from 9 a.m. until noon on March 15, 1952, a Saturday. The opening day was held in the “corral” at the rear of the First National Bank of Leesburg, now the Lifestream Building. United Southern Bank now occupies the first floor. In addition to receiving the bank and passbook that day, those joining also received a free pony ride.